On the left is a replica of Camp Dubois at Hartford, IL
On the right is the replica of Camp Dubois built by the members of the Discovery Expedition of St. Charles in Wood River, IL. These replicas are only about 5 miles apart. The Wood River camp is actually on a remnant of Wood River, where the Corps of Discovery spent the winter of 1803-1804. The men below, Scott Mandrell, Dave Hibbeler, and C.J. Lanahan, have been living in and building the camp during the past winter.
|The winter camp was across the Mississippi from the mouth of the Missouri River. Since the Louisiana Purchase was not officially transferred yet, they decided to stay in Illinois to make sure that when they did start up the Missouri, they were definitely in United States Territory. Missouri River in the foreground, looking north to the Mississipi.|